Willow Winter Solstice Marathon,
Half-Marathon and 5K
December 17th, 2016
On this page, you'll find:
Overview of race information
Registration here - Ultra Signup
Route: An out-and-back course
taking you from the Willow Community Center, winding
through Willow Area lakes and (for the marathon) out to Eagle Quest Lodge. The course is entirely on winter trails.
Distance: 26.2+ mile Marathon, 13.1 mile half-marathon or 5K (see below for more detailed description of each race course)
Start time: 9AM for all races
Start/Finish location: Willow Community Center, Parks Hwy, mile 70. The community center is reserved for this event. Friends and family will be able to hang out and await your return.
Cost: Marathon $70, Half marathon $50, 5K $30. Race day sign-up Marathon $80, half-marathon $60, 5K $35.
On-line sign-up: here on UltraSignup, (to be up soon)
Fleece winter hats will be guaranteed to all runners signing up within 2 weeks of the race (by December 3rd). Anyone signing up after December 3rd will receive a hat on a first come-first serve basis at bib pick-up. We can not guarantee a hat after Dec. 2nd. We will try our best to have a hat for everyone but cannot guarantee it after the order date! There will be finisher prizes for all three races.
All groups will start at 9AM together, at Willow Community Center. Taking the trail across Willow Lake, you cross over to Elmsweiler Swamp, heading south to Long Lake. The 5Kers will turn around here. Marathoners and half- marathoners will continue all the way down Long lake and cross over to Crystal Lake. From there, Vera Lake will take you to the Willow Swamp where the half-marathoners will turn around and head back to the Community Center for the finish. The Marathoners will run all the way around the Willow Swamp to the Eagle Quest turn-off, run 1/2 mile to Eagle Quest Lodge and turn around. The course will be marked in both directions.
All courses are out-and-backs. It will be dark for a significant portion of the race and possibly very cold. It will be easier to keep track of everyone and get runners help if needed. Once runners cross the road to Vera Lake, there will be no more possible road access until the Marathon turn-around at Eagle Quest Lodge. There are 2-3 places accessible by car where friends and family can cheer you on during the race.
Go here to see the race trails: http://waco-ak.org/uploads/Trails/Plan2006/West_Gateway_Trails.pdf
Please be aware that the trails you will be running on are multi-use. Please no dogs. Expect to see both snowmachines and dog mushers. They tend to be quite friendly and cautious around Willow, but sometimes they are moving fairly fast. Please give them the right of way. Assume that motorized vehicles can not see you. Headphones are allowed but discouraged as they limit your reaction time.
Willow Swamp: Turn around for 1/2 marathoners and first aid station for marathoners. There will be water provided here, cold and possibly hot as well. Marathoners will check in here out-bound and in-bound. This is a Mandatory check-in.
Eagle Quest Lodge: Turn around for marathoners. There will be water, cold and hot, sports drinks and some snacks. There is a mandatory check-in here at Eagle Quest Lodge.
Finish: There will be hot refreshments and soup at the finish for racers.
Race rules (of course there have to be some rules!)
1. You must check in/sign up by 8:30AM race morning. Race meeting starts at 8:35AM. If you do not pick up your bib or sign up by 8:30AM, you will have to wait until after the meeting. This may or may not be before 9AM.
2. Snowshoes and spiked shoes are allowed. You may need them!
3. Please do not litter on the trails. If you see obvious race-related trash (snowmachiners don't eat the new peanut butter GUs around here) please pick it up.
4. Half-marathoners- you must check in with a race official at the Willow Swamp aid station. Marathoners- you must check in three times- out-bound Willow Swamp, Eagle Quest Lodge and in-bound Willow Swamp. If you do not check in with the race official, we will consider you not to have reached them. This is for your own safety.
5. Mandatoy gear: headlight. Recommended gear: insulated water system (with knowledge on how to keep it from freezing up!), spare undershirt, handwarmers, reflective gear, food ( In addition to hat, gloves, coat etc).
6. Marathoners will be allowed one drop bag at Eagle Quest, transported from the start to the Lodge. We will return with this bag to the Community Center once all marathoners have checked in and out at Eagle Quest. This bag should be no bigger than a medium-sized duffle. No kitchen sinks, please.
7. Time cutoff: Time cutoff for both races will be approximately 9 hours. If you don't think you can finish the marathon (in possibly very cold temperatures on snowy trails) in around 9 hours, please consider signing up for the half-marathon. This time cutoff for the marathon has you keeping up a pace of 3mi/hr. Race day race changes can be made on race day. If moving to a longer race, you will have to pay a difference in race fees. Please come by 8AM if wanting to change races.
*****We want to encourage people to come to Willow and run in the dead of winter! BUT! Please be aware that it may be cold and dark with very little direct sunlight. Please be prepared for a -30 to -40 below start and finish. It easily can get that cold here. Dead of winter is fun. Dead you, not so much. Check out our local weather and trail reports page for frequent updates. Please train for cold weather and be prepared with extra clothes, handwarmers and more extra clothes. There is no substitute for experience in the cold and knowing how to dress appropriately.
*****If you have not spent time training in cold weather or running on snow, please do not sign up for this race. You need to be prepared for any and all winter conditions, including very cold weather and layering as well as warm weather with deep snow.
Accommodations: One of the reasons we love living in Willow so much is the somewhat isolated nature of the location. Unfortunately, this is not the best for out-of-towners needing a place to stay in the winter. As we find possible places, we will post them below:
-Winter Park Cabins. 907-495-5884 email@example.com
- Eagle Quest Lodge and Cabins 495-1116 www.eaglequestalaska.com
Awaiting the first frost!